Mike,

There are a lot of things to consider here. If you have something precise
to focus upon that might help tremendously. But here are a few pointers.

You have 3 subsystems processing work for PHP:
QHTTPSVR - Apache and FastCGI
ZENDSVR - Zend Monitor jobs
QSYSWRK - SQL Server Jobs

Before accusing anything of performance issue you should get some
measurements. As Drucker is often misquoted, "You can't manage what you
can't measure!" See where your pain is and apply treatment. But also
keep in mind that performance issues are rarely resolved by a single
silver bullet.

Assuming you are on the latest PTF's, groups, etc. I'm also hoping you've
eliminated hardware. All the RAM in the world won't make up for a 2 arm
machine. (although these Power 7 machines are damned impressive...)

Are you using persistent connection for DB2 functions and private
connections for toolkit calls?

Here are some places to go for some basic performance tuning assistance.

DB2 Best Practices with PHP:
http://www.zend.com/en/resources/webinars/i5-os#DB2BP
PHP Toolkit tips: http://www.zend.com/en/resources/webinars/i5-os#PHPTool
Performance tuning PHP on IBM i:
http://www.zend.com/en/resources/webinars/i5-os#IBMIPERF

There are also free features of Zend Server called script (op-code) cache
and data cache. Check out the online documentation for more details.
http://files.zend.com/help/Zend-Server-6-IBMi/zend-server.htm

White paper on the data cache:
http://www.zend.com/topics/Zend-Server-Data-Caching-Whitepaper-0106-T-WP-R
1-EN.pdf

Penton has a recorded seminar on PHP Performance by Alan Seiden in their
eLearning section and here is a free article where he answers some
questions:
http://iprodeveloper.com/php/php-performance-alan-seiden-answers-our-qs

One last shameless plug for Alan is that he will be doing an all day
workshop on PHP Performance Tuning at ZendCon 2013.
http://www.zendcon.com/

Since I gave you a TON of pointers for no charge I hope that David
forgives me for the reference to ZendCon. But it is exactly what you are
asking for.

Regards,

Mike
Office Phone: (708)233-5880 Cell: (408)679-1011