On Tue, 5 Feb 2013, at 13:41 AM, Michael Ryan <michaelrtr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm looking at the new PHP toolkit, and I'm not sure what the advantages
are with that vs. just rolling your own with the db2* functions. What's
your impression?

The only advantage is that you are not "rolling your own" <grin> - you need to do nothing with the service program, you don't need to wrap it as a stored procedure, etc. etc.

I am beginning to feel that for tasks such as this where an existing function needs to be re-purposed without changing its code that it comes down in part to the size of shop and how the development team is organized. In a larger shop where perhaps the PHP guys are a separate group - and, as is the case with one of my clients, may even be running PHP on another platform - then using the toolkit means no work required for the RPGers. No need to create the procedure with the attendant save/restore issues (just been bitten by this one). Just give them the spec and let them call it. On the other hand in a one many shop where the work falls on the same person I would tend to go the stored procedure route because it should be more efficient and there is no reason not to.

I'm going to use the toolkit to access system functions such as spool file, data queues, etc. no matter what - but for program/function calls it is a wash.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com