I haven't any suggestions at the moment, but having something like node.js on the IBMi would be great. Even back in 2010 I thought so, when most of the node.js servers were experimental, but it is far more mature now. I guess we need a highly experienced C++ developer - preferably with V8 experience - to create an IBMi port. If you know anyone who fits the bill, maybe we can split the cost. I thought you guys already had plenty of in-house C/C++ skills? I cannot see much RPG in the Icebreak kernel :)

I see what you mean about Rhino. I have been using JSDOC3 on the IBMi (which uses Rhino) - and that it ain't quick.

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Niels Liisberg
Sent: 03 January 2013 15:39
To: AS400 iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Web Enabling Applications - node.js

Thanx Kevin;

I also had some interest in node.js for a couple of your ago, but at that time our company was more "server-centric" so the focus was more on RPG and java.

this paradigm however, has change and the client development is kind of dictating the agenda of today - javascript is to days "weapon of choice" .

So where node.js was academic interesting it is now more an urge to have an JS engine on the IBMi .

Now: I have tried to migrate spider-monkey to PASE ( the Mozilla JS) since it is pure C / C++

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/SpiderMonkey

.. This might be a solution, but i ran out of time :'(

I also have tried to migrate rhino - but that runs like a dog: javascript with in java is 100% no go on the IBMI

This is leaving me back with the V8 engine, which - as far as i can see - i rather difficult to compile on any thing else but Intel type processors.

Do you have any suggestions ?

Best regards

Niels Liisberg

Chief Software Architect