Yes, they are the old parameters. I Realized that once Henrik posted the
solution and said I thought "duh". It's been so long since I debugged on a
system where I had to worry about multiple jobs starting up at once (mainly
from using SSI directives on each page that each call CGI programs).

Normally I get by buy guessing which job to start a service job on. :)

The issue with the solution above is that if I go to a page that has
multiple CGI SSI directives, the server jobs fail. The only thing they out
put is a short dump that looks like this:

User Trace Dump for job 119117/QTMHHTTP/BVSTESTV4. Size: 16382K, Wrapped 0
times.
--- 12/19/2012 06:33:41
---

00000063:844136

Application............:
HTTP

Instance...............:
BVSTESTV4

System.................: I5.BVSTOOLS.COM

Start date/time........: Wed Dec 19 06:33:41
2012
00000063:844176 isAsciiCcsid() - ccsid 37 is not an ascii
ccsid

00000063:844192

THREAD ID:TIMESTAMP
DATA

00000063:844224 CGI/NTS: Trace level set to 'VERBOSE' for this
process.
00000063:844240 CGI/NTS:
Apache/2.0.63

00000063:844248 CGI/NTS: Module Magic Number:
20020903
00000063:844272 N helper job for instance
BVSTESTV4
00000063:844416 fillBuffer(), received 119 bytes and 0
descriptors
00000063:844440 receiveData(), returned 36 bytes of
data
00000063:844456 receiveData(), returned 83 bytes of
data
00000063:846016 fillBuffer(), control pipe receive error with errno
0
00000063:861936 apr_dump_trace(): dump for job
119117/QTMHHTTP/BVSTESTV4
TRCTCPAPP Output

The main server job then outputs HTP8080:

Message ID . . . . . . : HTP8080 Severity . . . . . . . : 20
Message type . . . . . : Diagnostic
Date sent . . . . . . : 12/19/12 Time sent . . . . . . :
06:36:05

Message . . . . : HTTP Server instance BVSTESTV4, hot backup
takeover.
Cause . . . . . : The primary job for HTTP Server instance BVSTESTV4
failed.
Receipt of this message usually indicates there is a problem that needs
be
resolved.
Recovery . . . : Check for previous messages in QSYSOPR for HTTP
server
instance BVSTESTV4 to identify the cause of
failure.
Technical description . . . . . . . . : The hot backup server job is now
the
primary job and is serving client requests. Also, a new hot backup
server
job has been created
automatically.

Using the CGI SSI directives it's like getting multiple requests at once,
so normally more CGI jobs would start to handle the extra requests. And on
the old CERN web servers if you were running maxat 1, it would simply queue
the requests and take them one at a time.

But with Apache it seems that isn't the case, and when you specify 1 max
job, and it gets multiple requests at once and it can't start new CGI jobs
it crashes and dies.

So, it's not quite the exact equivalent of -maxat 1. But, it is usable to
a point.

Make sense? It would be nice to have the same workings as the old CERN
server.

Brad
www.bvstools.com