I am on a project with a client who is displaying real-time financial
(market) data. In this case, a number of data feeds are aggregated at the
server, which knows which data points are of interest to a particular
client, and pushes the data when it changes.

From what I see, the perspective is "who is initiating the change." If the
change is occurring in the client application, AJAX-type techniques seem to
be a good fit. If the change occurs as a result of something that the
server application knows, Web Sockets seems to be a better fit, as opposed
to client polling.

This has implications for mobile applications. Why have a mobile app
continually poll for data that might not have changed, when the client can
simply wait for the server to send the data.

My initial impression of Web Sockets applications are that they are ideal
for dashboard/monitoring environments. I think that as Web Sockets becomes
more widely used, many additional application requirements will be
implemented with Web Sockets, similar to the technology curves that were
provided by HTTP, AJAX, and others. It is not always immediately obvious
where a new technique fits, and to try to force previous application
development styles onto the new might lead to failure to see how best to use
a new technique.

I think Web Sockets is as radical and game-changing as AJAX was (is), and in
the course of time, will become a widely used development technique within
the class of applications for which it is best fitted.

Craig Pelkie