I must admit that the technique you are describing is not one I have considered before for this sort of thing - it certainly seems to work.

I think the main difference is that it still is a request/response cycle, whereas with web sockets allow events to be pushed to the browser completely unsolicited by the browser. The server doesn't have to wait to be asked.

Whether or not you see that as a powerful thing probably depends on the problem you want to solve. If xhr does the job then I would stick with it. As Scott said, I won't be using web sockets to replace Ajax any time soon. Both ways have a practical use I think.