It's definitely a choice. If you use the frameworks that make it transparent, you can go with the flow. There's nothing saying you couldn't wrap a RESTish format around the same objects. I just did that recently for a project -- we already had SOAP format services (using JAX-WS). I consumed the same classes using JAX-RS and the APIs made it transparent. In this case, it wasn't a straight conversion. If it had been, it would have taken less than an hour.

As far as UDDI, that seems to be a failed experiment. IBM and Microsoft both shut down their public UDDI registries, and I don't hear anything about it any more.

From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Nathan Andelin [nandelin@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 7:40 PM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Web Services War Stories

Okay, I admit that Web Services have been around for at least a decade. Maybe we can say that they are STILL the method du jour for intersystem interoperability, and probably will be for a long time to come.

Regarding SOAP being heavyweight, is that something that people just learn to live with, or is it a choice? That is, if you buy into the frameworks that support it, do you just go with the flow, because it's easiest? If you're a producer of Web Services do you just publish that way by default? Would you have to go out of your way to simplify the interface?

I read that WSDL/SOAP have the benefit of publishing to a UDDI directory so people can more easily find your service. Does that affect the decision?

-Nathan