"Be specific. This is only for cardholder data. The PCI doesn't say you
can't keep a database on the DMZ, just not sensitive carholder data."

True, but then PCI only addresses cardholder data. To stay in scope that's
all they can mention.

But think about it. What this standard is really saying is data in the DMZ
cannot be considered secure.

" I've yet to hear of a single IBM i being hacked to gain access to data -
cardholder, patient, or otherwise."

Comments like this really make me shake my head. Why are you entitled to be
notified of every or even any breach on the i platform? A breach has to
meet certain criteria before public notification is required and even those
laws have not been in existence the entire time that OS/400 has been
around. Pre-California SB1386 no notifications were required by anyone.
And breaches need to be a certain size before disclosure is mandatory. And
that's only US state law; in other countries YMMV.

Besides, IBM is still releasing PTFs with the following:

*APAR Error Description / Circumvention*
Integrity Problem.

CORRECTION FOR APAR XXnnnnn :
Integrity Problem.

CIRCUMVENTION FOR APAR XXnnnnn :
Integrity Problem.

Which means there are still security issues being addressed. Which means
our beloved platform's security is not perfect. Which means we still need
to take every reasonable precaution.