Tomcat isn't the problem here. I use the open source version of Tomcat on my i all the time and haven't used the Tomcat version that IBM supplied, ever. The issue is that since our friends at IBM decided not to support their own version of Tomcat on i (understandable) they also decided not to support Apache's implementation of AJP on i. I would argue that the MTU is saying that IBM won't support Tomcat on i. Period. And so they weren't going to support any Apache modules that talked to Tomcat using AJP.

Sure would have been nice if there provided an alternative to the SRVPGM that provided the module connector for AJP though. As it is, if you want to run Tomcat on i and front end it with Apache, you can't do that on i, you'll need to run Apache on Linux, AIX or Windows and then point AJP back to your Tomcat instance on i.

Bummer (and a bit short sighted I think....)

Pete Helgren
Value Added Software, Inc
www.asaap.com
www.opensource4i.com