You could also use client certificates to achieve this if you wanted to
be more secure.

I pulled this directly from apache's ssl documentation. With this you
could require a client certificate only for specific locations so only
people with client certificates can access it. You can even filter
client certificates by some criteria such as a component of the subject
or serial number. I admit it is quite a bit more complicated than
allowing from a particular IP address and maybe overkill for an internal
process, but it would be a lot of fun!

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/ssl/ssl_howto.html

SSLVerifyClient none
SSLCACertificateFile conf/ssl.crt/ca.crt

<Location /secure/area>
SSLVerifyClient require
SSLVerifyDepth 1
</Location>

Joshua Dayberry, CISSP
Senior Web Developer / Information Services
UnitedHealthOne
Golden Rule Insurance Company
7440 Woodland Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46278