On 3/4/2011 6:13 AM, Kevin Turner wrote:
Our stumbling block may be this wording in the agreement. We would only get 2 copies for $795 and still have to pay $800 for the rest:
The maximum number of copies you may install for each Rational Program at each Location is determined by your PartnerWorld level:
* Member Level - 2 copies
* Advanced Level - 5 copies
* Premier Level - 8 copies

$800 per seat seems reasonable when compared to, for example, MS Visual Studio Enterprise. It is the fact that you have a more than adequate free alternative in WDSc 7.0 that makes it seem expensive.

Yes, that really is the issue. IBM painted perception themselves into a corner with the original WDSC packaging. But they had doubts as to the uptake (and clearly they were right on that score). But obviously the idea of free tooling simply isn't economically sustainable, so they had to bite the bullet. It leaves the WDSC folks like you with a tough decision. Eventually enough features will be added that I think you'll be able to justify the move (or when the next version of Windows break something <grin>), but for now you may just have to stick with the old thing.

Just remember: for me, the full RBD/RDPi workbench comes up in four seconds. Not too shabby <grin>. Yes, I have a pretty beefy workstation, but that's still fast.

Joe