Hi Bryce,

What the announcement actually says is that MySQL is no longer going to offer *precompiled* *downloads* for IBM i 5.4 and 6.1.

It doesn't say that they'll no longer support the OS. Remember, this is an open source project, not a commercial project. You can easily grab the source code and compile it yourself, plus provide support by yourself if you want to.

MySQL should work. And I strongly suspect that either Zend or IBM will continue to provide a precompiled MySQL you can download and install. (And because it's an open source project, they're quite welcome to do so.)

And no, this is NOT about IBMDB2I storage engine. This is about the core MySQL product. the IBMDB2I storage engine comes in a PTF from IBM, you don't download it from MySQL.com. It was never there to begin with! (But, of course, the storage engine is useless without the base product.)

At any rate, IMHO, the big issue that this screams out to me is this: "Nobody is using this tool." (Or, at least, not as many as had been hoped.) It's not a big deal to me that MySQL is no longer offering the download. But it is a big deal that not many are using this... because without desire from the community, it's unlikely to ever get enhancements or updates, and will become an obscure technique, difficult to find personnel to support.