Hi Nathan

Thanks for the response. I really should have listened to my first
impulse which was to say nothing, so I apologise for putting you to
the trouble of writing a reply.

I don't disagree with much of what you say, but you still have no
database sizings, no user numbers, no transaction volume - in fact
nothing that would allow an alternate solution or proposal to be
developed or costed (Not that I want to develop such an alternate
proposal, either). You have specified that we are talking about an ERP
system as opposed to "Facebook for i" so that helps in terms of what
kind of workload you could expect.

What I was really trying to get at was that it is not as simple to
scale as you make out. What happens if you start out with a 515 ? You
can't upgrade it in place IIRC - that's a pretty disruptive upgrade.
What happens when you need to add disk and need an 0595 ? That's a
pretty expensive and disruptive storage upgrade.

The i tends to scale in rather larger increments than other platforms
and is also more expensive when comparing like-for-like hardware costs
- e.g. disk units, ethernet cards etc. the cost and availability of
iseries people is also something of a negative - and even a risk in
some places - compared to a commodity/mainstream solution. I realise
the value of the integration factor, but perhaps it's not quite the
premium IBM have been charging for it unless you are already locked
in.

I've spent nearly 30 years on iSeries boxes so it's not a case of
misunderstanding the value the platform can add, but a solution that
has a very small pool of deep technical knowledge has a great deal of
risk attached to it in the market.

Can the iSeries scale ? Sure. Can I easily get cheap iSeries talent to
take advantage of that scalabality - that's not quite so easy to
answer.