Aaron,

I was just teasing Jon because he stated ealier that you always has to
learn new subprocedures as it was a problem.

Actually Jon lost track of powerEXT because he hasn't got or had a V5R4
mashine at the time I offered him a walk trough.

And YES, the documentation part is a big problem - powerEXT is quite
different - and a BIG framework and has a learning curve - and after
investing about a total 3-4000 hours in it I find it a little hard to find
founding to a "state of the art" documentation department that can keep up
with the past development and the ongoing development ;.)

Henrik

Med venlig hilsen/Kind regards
Henrik Rützou
HR Software Development
Ved Stampedammen 39
DK 2970 Hørsholm
Denmark
E-mail: hr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone: +45 2714 8449

Homepage: powerEXT.com

Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
20-04-2010 23:11
Please respond to
Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries" <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [WEB400] Why use PHP? What are the disadvantages?

Well, in the end, whether you use CGIDEV2/PowerExt/Valence/RPGUI/etc, you
still have to manually retrieve the values of the forms.

I don't think you are picking on the right person by stating Jon Paris
doesn't do/learn new tricks - he is an educator of new technology. I
think
his comments were more a long the lines of not being able to understand
how
everything fits together with PowerExt. That would be a reflection on
your
documentation. I would take that as valuable feedback and instead ask him
where he lost touch with what PowerExt is trying to accomplish. For what
it's worth, your code is very well organized, but not well documented
(i.e.
the doc blocks should be expounded on much more to give context). There
are
A LOT of components in PowerExt - I took the better part of a day to dive
into the source but stopped once I found the dual license in the back of
the
user manual - so make sure that you provide avenues for quick
understanding
for both the bit twiddler and the person that wants the first "hello
world"
app in 5 minutes.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com