Now I'm going to have to go and read the article again. The understanding I got was that HipHop was a JIT technology, where the PHP would be the deployed object and it would be translated/compiled when first hit.

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nathan Andelin
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 12:18 PM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] HipHop for PHP

I didn't mean to imply that Facebook is programmed in C - sorry about that. I gathered that they used both PHP developers, and C developers. The former would develop and test new functionality, while the latter would transform the PHP into C as part of the process of moving it into production. It wasn't clear to me how automated the transformation process was.

So that begs the question, will Facebook become a supplier of transformation and runtime tools for PHP?

-Nathan.