Here is the reply from ZEND support:

Hello tom,

Testing here in Support confirms the issue. The problem seems to be in the
RTVDTAARA command, which is used by i5_data_read(). We receive the same
error when we run this:

i5_command("RTVDTAARA DTAARA("armsoddm/so01p (1 40))", array(),
array("RTNVAR" => "ret"));

We have reported the error to R&D for correction in a future release. As a
workaround, please try writing a CL program to retrieve the data, and call
the CL program from your script. Here is the code for the CLP:

PGM PARM(&RET)
DCL VAR(&RET) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(40)
RTVDTAARA DTAARA(armsoddm/so01p (1 40)) RTNVAR(&RET)
ENDPGM

Here is the source for your script:

$description = array(
array(
"Name"=>"RET",
"IO"=>I5_INOUT,
"Type"=>I5_TYPE_CHAR,
"Length"=>"40"
),
);

$i5res = i5_program_prepare("yourlib/yourpgm",$description);

$parms = array("RET" => ' ');

$parmOut = array("RET" => "ret");

$ran = i5_program_call($i5res,$parms,$parmOut);

if ($ret) print $ret;

Replace "yourlib/yourpgm" with the actual library name and program name for
your CLP.

Please don't hesitate to contact us with any additional questions.

Thank you for contacting Zend Support Center.

Tom Deskevich