From: Aaron Bartell
In what way does the contributor, who made the choice to
contribute, get the short end of the stick?

Well, that may be a different discussion for a different day. My point was that the public license purposefully does not include language like:

"Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, You hereby
grant to the Company and to recipients of software distributed by the Company a perpetual,
worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce,
prepare derivative works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute Your
Contributions and such derivative works."

With emphasis on:

"PERPETUAL, WORLDWIDE, NON-EXCLUSIVE, NO-CHARGE, ROYALTY-FREE, IRREVOCABLE COPYRIGHT LICENSE"

Zend requires that type of license from contributors - but doesn't offer that type of license to the public. Why the difference?

Nathan.