Hi Mike,

For the most reliable answer, you'll want to check with the PASE guys,
since it really comes down to details of the PASE runtime. Here's my take,
though.

The 32-bit build has a smaller memory footprint and may therefore give
better performance on a system where main-store is constrained. Prior to
IBM i 6.1, there was an additional performance advantage provided by
32-bit apps; but my understanding is that in 6.1 and later, 64-bit has
caught up to 32-bit. The primary advantage of a 64-bit binary is that the
virtually unlimited address space means that much larger data sets can be
used.

Theoretically, then, for most shops with small or medium-sized data sets
and a reasonable number of concurrent users, there shouldn't be much
practical difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit builds. However! As it
so happens, I was doing some performance comparisons on 32-bit vs 64-bit
builds of MySQL several weeks ago (5.1.41, I believe). My own very limited
and *very informal* testing indicated that (all else being equal) the
64-bit build ran measurably faster than the 32-bit build. This was a
surprise to me. I don't know if MySQL uses different optimization settings
for the different builds or why this would be the case. I would suggest
that users concerned about performance download both binaries and do some
basic comparisons themselves. Since multiple servers can be installed
side-by-side and can point to the same data set, this is relatively easy
to do.

Did you say 50 words or 500 words...?

Tim

Tim,

Thank you for the follow up.

I am curious if there is a significant difference in performance, power,
function of the 64-bit version over the 32-bit version. My gut would
say yes but my head is saying "why should I care unless I am using a lot
of data and more memory addresses, etc." Might there be a small
advantage in running the 32-bit for smaller installations with less data
requirements, etc.

In 50 words or less please :-)

Regards,

Mike