I know where you are coming from Peter, but if this is a
non-technical-person login then I would for sure stray away from the HTTP
Basic Auth approach because the login is so different than normal logins.
For example, it doesn't really tell you that you entered in a wrong
user/password, it just redisplays the same popup login. And if you hit
cancel it takes you to a "you are not authorized..." type message that is
generated by the application server (i.e. Apache).

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com
http://mowyourlawn.com/blog/

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Peter Connell <