The table we were trying to modify was created with the MYISAM engine,
not the IBMDB2I engine.

Interesting. I assume that means the file lock issue is only a problem
when using something other than the IBMDB2I? Another reason to stick with
IBMDB2I I suppose.

|------------>
| From: |
|------------>
|dale janus <dalejanus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> |
|------------>
| To: |
|------------>
|web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx |
|------------>
| Date: |
|------------>
|10/29/2009 11:03 AM |
|------------>
| Subject: |
|------------>
|[WEB400] MYSQL error requires IPL |

Matt,

I am pretty sure MYSQL did keep working, we just could not modify any
tables. I don't remember if we ran any MYSQL jobs or not before we shut it
down.

The table we were trying to modify was created with the MYISAM engine, not
the IBMDB2I engine.

As someone pointed out, better Ibm I tools would indicate which job had the
PID file locked. So plenty of room for improvement all around.

I don't know if the IBMDB2I engine was rushed or not. They sure talked
about it for a long time before it was available. You would think
IBM/MYSQL/SUN could get it done in less than the 2 or 3 years it took. So
maybe the merger did move things along.

Because MYSQL allows lowercase, IBMDB2I must use double quotes around file
and library name. The results are pretty ugly looking, but at least they
work. An old saying goes something like this: "Don't criticize the dancing
of a dancing bear. Be amazed the bear can dance at all."

So I will be amazed at the dancing MYSQL and try not to criticize too much.
For now.

---Dale

message: 4
date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:35:03 -0400
from: MattLavinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
subject: Re: [WEB400] MYSQL error requires IPL

Did this problem cause MySQL to stop working entirely, or were you just
unable to modify that one file?

I am with Thorbj?rn on this. I've never had to reboot a PC machine when
working with PHP or MySQL. I guarantee you that while the Windows
administrators might live with reboots as a way to fix problems, the
Unix/Linux people of the world that pride themselves on their 99.99% uptime
wouldn't stand for that. While I've never had issues with MySQL on other
platforms, I've read enough about MySQL for IBM i that has me wondering if
it was really ready to come out of beta. I have to wonder if the Oracle
acquisition of Sun caused IBM to rush this release out the door. The
IBMDB2I engine was announced 2 or 3 years ago and hadn't materialized.
People were starting to question if it would be released when that merger
was announced. The release popped up only a few months after that.

Makes you wonder...