I just tried mine with the name of the server instead of the database
name, and it worked.

In the left navigation window of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio,
I see:
- MYSERVER
- Databases
+ System Databases
+ Database Snapshots
+ MYDATABASE
+ DATABASE2
+ DATABASE3

I changed my freetds.conf file to read:
# PeopleSoft database (Microsoft SQL Server 2000 configuration)
[MYSERVER]
host = myserver.mydomain.com
port = 1433
tds version = 8.0

and then I changed my PHP script to read:
$conn = mssql_connect('MYSERVER', 'username', 'password');
if ($conn) {
mssql_select_db("MYDATABASE");

So this will let me choose different databases. Learn something new
every day.

Thanks,
Kelly