Scott,
Thanks for the info. What you are saying sounds correct, but I don't know where to change the encodings. I'll be doing some internet searching this afternoon.

I downloaded the latest version of MYSQL, but I get scared every time I go to upgrade PHP or MYSQL. I'm only vaguely aware of all the places MYSQL put programs, data, my.cnfg and so on. And why can't symbolic links be clearly marked , like windows shortcuts? And we now depend on our internal web site for daily processing (mostly imaging). If it goes down, I am under the gun to get it back up.

If I can't find anything about encoding, I'll call IBM and see how far I get.

---Dale

------------------------------
message: 2
date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 16:20:59 -0500
from: Scott Klement <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [WEB400] MYSQL error with IBMDB2 engine

I don't run SugarCRM (yet... might use it some day) but I've had problems like this when creating my own tables with (ugh, I hope my memory is correct...) utf8_general_ci. Changing it to another one of MySQL's utf-8 encodings solved the problem. Sorry, my memory is fuzzy, so I might've got that wrong.

I also know there were some bugs related to error 2501 that were fixed in MySQL. You might want to make sure you're running the current version. 5.1.39 was released yesterday, though the fixed I'm thinking of were originally added in 5.1.36. (But.. there may have been updates since then, I don't know -- at any rate, you may as well go to the current version.)

Whether IBM provides support or not...? I don't know... if you find out, please let me know.

dale janus wrote:
We have been using PHP and MYSQL (and APACHE) for about 2 years. We have been pretty successful created web based aps to view I series data using the DB2 calls Zend put into PHP. We are running V5R4.

We were very happy to see that IBM finally created a database engine for DB2 for MYSQL. We installed it back in May.

Now we are expanding and trying to create web based front ends for our data entry programs. We set up PHP to use MYSQL with the DB2 engine to edit and enter a batch file for our billing system. At first, it worked fine. Now we are getting errors:

Got error 2501 'Error opening codeset conversion from UTF-8 to UTF-16 (errno = 0)' from IBMDB2

We could not chase it down, so we switched the engine back to MYISAM in MYSQL and naturally it works perfectly.
For this particular application it does not matter what engine is used, but we are getting the same error with SUGARCRM .

We installed SugarCrm back in May with the default test data using the IBMDB2 engine in MYSQL. Sure enough, it created a I SERIES library called "sugarcrm" and a bunch of physical and logical files, all lower case with " "around them. I played around with it a while back in May and then moved on to more pressing problems. Now I have come back to it, and it starts with the error 2501. We had to change the user file in SugarCrm MYSQL from IBMDB2 back to MYISAM. Then we could log on. This removed the file from the I series library "sugarcrm".

This allow SugarCrm to run, but whenever I try to view the existing test data provided by SUGARCRM, I get an error messasge: Error retrieving record. This record may be deleted or you may not be authorized to view it.
This happens no matter if I am logged on as myself, a test user, or administrator.

Here I am, finally getting ready to put my data into SugarCrm and it's broken.

Is anybody trying to use MYSQL with native files? Has anyone run into this problem?

Is this something I can call IBM Software Support about?

Some of the MYSQL forums indicate these causes for the error can be:

This is due to lack of support for the collations on v5r4

or

When a user selects an unsupported character set for an IBMDB2I table

It appears MYSQL will eventually release a patch, but all it does is change the error message from internal error to user error.

---Dale

message: 3
date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:09:35 -0500
from: Timothy P Clark <timclark@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [WEB400] MYSQL error with IBMDB2 engine

Hi Dale,

I'm one of the storage engine developers, and I think I understand what you're seeing. There was a bug in early releases of the storage engine such that certain Unicode character sets were not being created with the preferred CCSID (utf8 was created as CCSID 1200 instead of 1208, for example.) This worked fine, if somewhat slowly, but we chose to fix this behavior in later MySQL releases. Unfortunately, one side effect was that tables that had been created with the previous behavior looked incorrect to later versions, generating the 2501 error that you're seeing. You didn't say that you had upgraded MySQL, but based on the time frames indicated in your post, I'm guessing you were caught in this situation.

To work around this, you will need to use the older version of MySQL (5.1.36 or earlier) to get the data out of any affected IBMDB2I tables and then place the data back into the IBMDB2I tables using a current release of MySQL. One way to do this is to use the older version of MySQL to alter the tables to use MyISAM. Then upgrade to a current release of MySQL and alter the tables back to use IBMDB2I again. Or you could select the table data into an outfile under the old version and with a new version recreate the tables (i.e. reinstall SugarCRM) and select the data from the outfiles back into the tables.

As far as support goes, any failures that are clearly IBM i related (e.g. produce CPF or MCH messages in a job log) can be reported directly to IBM Support under your normal support terms. Bugs such as this one should be reported to MySQL through your respective support channels (if you have purchased the Enterprise edition of MySQL) or through the bugs.mysql.com website (for Community edition users.)
Tim Clark