Ya, the reason I am paging is because there could be millions of records
in the result. But I do see your point.

Bradley V. Stone
BVSTools, Inc.
[1]www.BVSTools.com
[2]www.eRPGSDK.com

Walden H. Leverich wrote:

But, in a stateless environment will it apply. I guess we shall see.

Don't see how. That relies on there being an active cursor, the issue is
whether the cursor includes "new" rows as you scroll through it. In the
case of the web (typically) you've got a new connection on each request,
so you have no open cursor, it's re-opened each time.

I'd look at this a different way... why are you paging? More and more
we're moving away from paging result sets for users. They asked for it
they get it... or we tell them it's too big, narrow the list. If you
load a table with 1000 rows they'll find what they're looking for, or
rework their request. Add in client-side sorting and filtering of the
table and they get so much functionality for free that the paging just
isn't worth it*

-Walden

* There are exceptions to every rule, but in general what I'm saying
holds true.