Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen wrote:

Nathan Andelin skrev:

From: Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
Frequently it is too many idle sessions which must time out
to be reclaimed. First try lowering the session timeout value.

Could you expand on that? My Google search on session timeout values returned results for terminal services and other specific applications, but not Web Application Servers, generally.

Naturally.

Originally the http-servers were stateless meaning that there was no
concept of "this request goes to user A who was here just earlier etc".
Cookies was invented to get around that - it is basically a token
identifying a user. This has been used in many web frameworks to
implement sesisons, basically a memory structure for holding user
specific information across requests.

The problem with these sessions are:

1) the structure is in memory
2) a busy site may serve MANY sessions
3) users do not log out, they just stop clicking on the site

=> loaded webserver application needs LOTS of memory and eventually
crash or swap to death

Sort of lost me here. Cookies shouldn't put any memory or stress on the
server. Cookies are stored on the client side. And as far as how to
"recognize" the cookie from the client, that's usually stored in a db (ie
a shopping cart file, etc), not in memory. If so, I would call it a
design flaw.

The requests are still stateless.

Brad
[1]www.bvstools.com