I tested it on my local and here is what I see:
The FileUtil.class.getClassLoader().getResource( "boss.properties")
returns a File object with the path as
"file:\C:\jar\Boss.zip!\boss.properties"
When I try to create a FileInputStream with this File object, it failed
with "java.io.FileNotFoundException:
file:\C:\jar\Boss.zip!\boss.properties (The filename, directory name, or
volume label syntax is incorrect)".

It seems like FileInputStream is not capable of understanding classpath
variable and/or not capable of reading a file that is in a zip file.

Below is my test program:
public class Test2 {

File myFile = FileUtil.findFile("boss.properties");
try {
FileInputStream myFileIS = new
FileInputStream(myFile);
Properties prop = new Properties();