Hi Pat,

Some answers for you:

1) Anything new?
What is new is starting February 6th, 2009, Zend will be shipped with
every IBM i order (OS upgrade and new purchase) of V5R4 and V6R1. Out
of all of the non-IBM products that run on IBM i there aren't that many
that IBM decides to ship with the OS.

Companies have been asking Zend and IBM to make it easier to get Zend's
software on their systems. What can be easier than bundling with the
OS?

2) Do you need to buy something to make it work?
No. You can download Core from Zend's website or, after Feb 6th, it
will be shipped with the OS. Just install and you can run a PHP
application.

3) What can PHP do?
let others chime in if they want to tell you how they are using PHP so
no worry of a jihad sales pitch. Here is a range for you to give you a
level set:

On the easy side Parts Depot first used PHP to create an order
management system -- very straight-forward but saved them money and
significantly improved customer relations.

On the opposite side of the spectrum: APi Group, web enabled their
entire green screen ERP. Their quote from an ERP vendor was 8 figures
and 3years+ implementation. With PHP they were up and running in 18
months and at 1/10 the cost.

In general here are the top four ways companies are using PHP on i:
1) new app development
2) modernization (invoking programs and web-enabling 5250 apps)
3) leveraging open source apps (SugarCRM, Mantis/400, etc.)
4) consolidation (consolidating PHP apps running on Linux and Window to
run natively on IBM i)

I generally let the community respond to PHP questions but you had a
specific announcement question. There will be a webcast in Feb on
Systeminetwork.com discussing this announcement if you want more info.

Jim Dillard
Zend IBM Alliance Manager