Nathan

I am sorry that I also missed your reply.

Yes I did realise that. However I imagine that the problem with the HTTP
server prompt is me and that, with help, I will be able to solve the
problem. I know that the HTTP server sign on prompt works when I sign on to
admin through port 2001 (unfortunately admin doesn't work put that is
another matter!).

Is there any advantage of one over the other?

I am making reasonable progress with CGIDEV2 and can now access all the data
in one quite large application with a variety of data types and some complex
data structures. As only uses "*public" data, I can get by without a user
id. My CGIDEV2 version can generate and display some quite complex pages
with multiple image (but as yet not very pretty page design!). These all
worked in my WSG version. Some of these screens are quite different from
their 5250 equivalents. I have added the ability to display a banner image
(the URL of which is stored in my Neural database and which can be different
for each application or user) which I couldn't do before in WSG.

I am pretty sure that, as soon as I can sign on with a user id, I will find
that all the other applications will work also without any further
development. I haven't enabled function keys but I can work without them
for the moment using buttons

Response times seem pretty good.

This is all in inquiry mode only so far. Then I will work on update mode
which will take quite a lot of work, but should not be beyond me. Of
course, I am bound to find unexpected problems.

As for the potential synergy, I wonder what the Virtual terminal approach
would give me that I don't have at present. I also wonder whether my
approach has something that the Virtual terminal might not have. What I am
not sure about with the Virtual terminal is how each user's options would be
stored so that, for instance, a Web page is not restricted to being a clone
of a 5250 screen.

I don't think that any of us can solve all the problems alone. I certainly
would like to work with others. I am not sure that there has ever been a
clear definition of what we are all trying to achieve. I haven't seen in
these threads a clear definition of the problem to be solved that was
inspiring the various suggestions for a technnical solution - perhaps I
missed it. Of course we are trying to solve problems for users but it might
be nice to try and spell out what we mean by this.

It may be that, once we have agreed on a common objective, we will be sure
that we can tinker with our existing tools/methods to achieve that
objective. Alternatively, we may realise that only a paradigm shift will do
the trick as you have suggested in another post.

Rob