>>>It is interesting you bring this up because shops are now trying to
get >rid of the PC as much as possible and go back to the mainframe approach >(i.e. everything hosted on a server and accessed via >thinclient/browser).

>>I don't disagree at all with this. I just think you'll end up with a browser plug in and in some cases local data stores providing the answer rather than handcrafting tons of CSS and Javascript and HTML and having everything on the server - with all the chattiness and overhead that implies. At the very least you'll be using standard Javascript libraries or a tool to generate them. That's pretty close to returning the PC to a terminal and that's pretty much what I see happening.

----
Endpoint clients in the future will be thin clients IMO. The stuff you would store on a PC will be downloadable at the initiation of each session that uses that data, even for data that changes infrequently, like say for example, valid customer-types and so on.

Also, it would create too many replicants. Tables good for one location are no good when a the regional manager signs in to review a different location somewhere else.

The screen, keyboard, and mouse, and usually a printer, will be available to the end user, but eventually full-blown PCs are going to phase not out, but for special users.

And even the dot-net projects now are all getting served up to browser delivery of the user interface. How much thinner can you get than that?

--Alan