What I've done in the past... for better speed (because I was loading a
huge drop down). I had the RPG program return the whole <select> with
<option>s then used JS to replace the innerHTML of a table cell.

<script>
document.getElememtById('newDD').innerHTML = ajaxResponse;

// ajaxResponse should look like this...

</script>

note ajaxResponse is NOT the correct variable. I'll let you figure that
out.