You're living in the past as far as paypal and ebay go (probably a good 5
years). Most of the horror stories out there are hersay and embelished
stories from disgruntled ebay/paypal users. Most who probably didn't read
descriptions of items closely and didn't get what they wanted.. lol...
--
Disgruntled with damn good reason! If that's what you think about "most of the horror stories out there" from five years ago, then your "living in the past" comment is not applicable.

WITHOUT "embellishment", actually *understated*:

PayPal lost a payment of hundreds of dollars once for a buddy of mine. He used to do lots of trades on eBay, and got real good at it. Once upon a time PayPal */insisted/* that he had himself taken out the money for the payment, instead of cleaning up their own house. The FBI told my friend they thought it was the Russian Mafia. In the end, no doubt because of the involvement of the FBI, they grudgingly gave him half of the money.

If you're wondering whether my buddy was just trying to get extra cash, forget it. This guy is a case study:

_1_He argued for days with his brokerage firm to get them to take back a twenty-thousand dollar payment they had sent him in error. __2__He found a paper-bag with a thousand dollars once in a Starbucks he was temporarily working at, and happily returned it to the lady who returned for it. __3__He even made a bank take back ten cents when they over-credited his account! __4__He regularly and frequently waived charges for passport and visa photos and paperwork service for customers who were very poor.

So make that me and Dave Oddom, and my buddy too. I will not knowingly deal with PayPal. And if there are clients requesting that PayPal be removed from the intermediary role, I would question the ethics of telling them you did, if in reality you didn't. It would seem to open up some liability issues. I think you're stuck, even if you disagree on the ethics of it.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Is there any such corporate leadership left?

There are other intermediary companies out there. Metavante is another one. Western Union provides services for companies for processing payments, and Moneygram (that's American Express) too, and I've used both of them to pay bills online.

You might not know him, but I do, and this guy is so squeaky clean he gave back twenty thousand dollars to his broker that they had sent to him in error, after he almost had to force it back at them.

You can't doubt his math, because he is so precise and detailed he convinced his bank once of an error of ten cents.

---aec