You could try adding a few JavaScript functions, either inline, or as a
separate file

The system needs to remember that the field has been clicked, so you need a
variable, globally defined, that can hold this info. A boolean value
(true/false) should be sufficient. Your variable should have a default value
of 'false'

When the field is clicked - you set this variable to 'true'.
The onmouseout event checks the value of this variable, and if set 'true',
leaves the field with its yellow colour.

Something like this

Var fld1Clicked = false;

function fldClick(t) {
t.style.background = 'yellow';
fld1Clicked = true;
};

function checkClick(t) {
if (!fld1Clicked) t.style.background = 'white';
};

Your events become:

onClick ="fldClick(this);"
onmouseout = "checkClick(this);"