Nathan Andelin wrote:
From: Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen
Most likely you and your java colleagues have had many more users than we did.

I don't know. Pete Helgren, who occasionally posts to this list would know more about it than I. He was a manager over the java team. I seem to recall that the company began imploding before most of the java applications gained much traction. The java team was laid off. The company now seems to be struggling to maintain a lot of disparate code bases.

I was wondering if you had any experiences to share (except the one I would like to hear - namely that the autoadjustment of OS/400 coped well with all stress situations :)

You and Walden made some good points about the scalability of this technique last week. And I don't have much information to refrute them, except the generalization that IBM i is good at managing many jobs reliability. But I have a hunch that this technique would NOT be best for a site that needed to accomodate thousands of concurrent users, who drifted in and out during the day.

Java is CPU intensive, and J2EE is really designed as a distributed architecture. It seems to me that you really need a server farm if you need to accommodate thousands of concurrent of users.

Nathan.