Dean,

I see your point as long as there is good "mapping" between all DB2/ORACLE/SQLServer functions/capabilities and the MySQL interface. If not, it seems MySQL could be the latest in the "open" world hype that doesn't really meet expectations and diverts attention to the tried and true. I've just seen too many of these types of "silver bullets" over many decades (hell, I used to sell some as well) that lead people astray and for too long. So, I'll wait and see and in the mean time concentrate my code on tried and true world class RDBMs.

Dave

"Dean, Robert" <rdean@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 10/22/2008 16:24 >>>
The primary value for MySQL on the i is that there are a ton of open
source PHP software packages that were written to the mysql set
of APIs, which happened because there weren't any database
agnostic drivers at the time.

Now that PDO and other agnostic drivers are available, it makes
more sense to code against those APIs and let the backend deal
with the intricacies of how to translate what the developer needs
into the optimal SQL for that database.

From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vern Hamberg [vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 4:15 PM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] sql in php with paging

MySQL is important enough for us to use it as one option for the
database in at least one of our products - just as someone can use DB2
on i, SQL Server, MSDE, SQL Server Express, etc. - all suitable RDBMS
for us to use.

Dave Odom wrote:
Vern, et al,

What's the "noise" about MySQL in the first place?

Further, is MySQL somehow capturing a large market share
away from all DB2 or ORACLE or SQLServer platforms all of a sudden? Is it projected to do so? Or, is MySQL just another fad? Or, is MySQL a "template/adapter" that can be wrapped over a DB2, ORACLE or SQLServer RDBMS so applications only have to be written to MySQL and the data is really stored in one of the leading RDBMs?

From my reading, it seems MySQL is another in a long line of supposedly "cheap" and "open" offerings that may lead folks down a primrose path. Sort of a Linix for the database world. Is there any other real value?

Dave

Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx> 10/22/2008 07:05 >>>

Here we go again - mySQL will be mySQL - it is NOT DB2 and is not
especially "limit"ed by DB2. Having the DB2 storage engine merely means
that the data will be in physical and logical files (tables and views
and indexes) on the iSeries - not much more. This does not mean, AFAIK,
that mySQL is all of a sudden going to look like DB2.

Now having said that, yes, different storage engines now in use with
mySQL do have different characteristics, so perhaps the jury is still out.

I just googled "mysql db2 storage engine" and found several hits - this
one is a good starting point - refers to a Redbook
(http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247398.html) on the subject.

http://krook.net/archives/190

From the Redbook

"Other storage engines can eventually include an i5/OS DB2 storage
engine to store MySQL data in DB2 on i5/OS."

"A number of features exist only in certain storage engines including
full-text search, referential integrity, and the ability to handle
spatial data."

"Most MySQL functions operate in the same way, regardless of the storage
engine that is used. All the usual SQL commands are independent of the
storage engine."

HTH
Vern

Burke, Joel wrote:

I would love to be able to use LIMIT and OFFSET but from what I have
read so far, it is not possible with DB2.

Joel