From: "Guillermo Andrades
I've used different tabs implementations, not 100% happy with none,
in complex apps with a lot of fields the html+js ends to be really
complex.

Right. I'd like to keep the code simple. In the past I've defined tabs with in-line HTML, applying CSS to table cells or buttons or hyperlinks to make them look something like tabs, but it has been somewhat unwieldy. I think tabs are a good case for UI widget classes that have methods that can be evoked and properties set at run-time, instead of inline coding of HTML or other tags at design-time.

Inline HTML is particularly problematic because of browser inconsistencies. Ever since Google release Chrome, I've been paying more attention to browser compatibility, and I'm often running 3-4 different browsers concurrently when designing a UI.

Interestingly, Microsoft's AJAX toolkit still implements tabs with inline tags. Not HTML tags, but tags which are more comparable to JSF tags, which generate code at runtime.

On the other hand, extjs implements tags with JS object literal notation, which I find a bit unwieldy, too. I'd like to be able to create tabs with javascript injection after a page is loaded, in response to other events, for example.

Nathan.