From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Dave Odom
Sent: Fri 8/15/2008 6:18 PM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Getting started with Net.data - was - I'dbetter domorethan talk

Michael,

That's a large oversimplification of what I was saying but let me cut to the chase for THIS discourse.

Without being redundant the difference is, I understand the right way/industry accepted ways from the standpoint of system architecture, RDBMS usage, RDBMS application design, not to mention, where the i is perceived when compared to other hardware/software purchase options. What I'm creating is a prototype, perhaps two (Net.Data and PHP). If Net.Data is the way I go for my working prototype, I know that I need to and will move it to a more industry standard language and don't have a problem with that. I also know the fundamental reality that says, if I don't get something viable going as soon as possible on the i, it may NEVER be done and the environment will lazily stay in a two sided world for the foreseeable future (5250 and GUI) thus making more work for employees and failing to use computers for: productivity gains, reduction of risk, increases in cycle time and more.

So, no I'm not hypocritical.

Dave

"Michael Ryan" <michaelrtr@xxxxxxxxx> 8/15/2008 14:53 >>>
I may be mistaking people, but aren't you the guy who thinks the
System i implementation is flawed because it's not the same as other
implementations? And now you're exploring a one system language that's
used by a tiny contingent of System i shops? Forgive me if I have the
wrong person...but that just seems odd to me.

- Michael