From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dave Odom
Sent: Saturday, 9 August 2008 5:05 p.m.
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400]What'sthe latestthinking ofthe besttwo orthreewebdevelopment languages/environ...

Peter,

Great news. I may take you up on your offer. I first have to figure
out how to access Net.Data and if I have everything installed to do so.
Any thoughts?

Thanks much,

Dave

"Peter Connell" <Peter.Connell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 8/8/2008 17:05

Dave,
It's my contention that Net.data is hard to beat as an easy to use, out of the box (free) system i solution. There is so much that can be achieved using a Net.data script without ever having to compile custom programs in any language on the server.

But any solution can be made as difficult as you can make it depending on the complexities of the requirements. However, as has been said, the cleaner the design, the easier it is to later migrate any solution to another, particularly if it employs SQL as a major component, as is possible with Net.data. And Net.data can still make calls any of your existing programs if need be.

For very little investment in time, the benefits of attempting simple solutions via Net.data could mean this is not a risky strategy.

As a proponent, I am prepared to develop (for free) some ready to use scripts for any project you wish use as a prototype providing you supply some concise requirements. Perhaps then you could come to your own conclusion.

Cheers, Peter