In general, the division between layers in software is about distribution of knowledge in the code.

There is code that only "knows" about presentation and nothing else; code that only "knows" about navigation and code that only "knows" about business.

It has nothig to do with the technology used (Javascript code can be part of the business layer if it does validation) or the platform (part of the presentation layer is on the server which simply assembles the HTML).

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:00:10 -0500
From: aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx
To: web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WEB400] The "Presentation" Layer

AND and serverside tech used in generating the UI

Walden, this is the key thing to put an "AND" on as you have. Nathan, I
would consider many of the API's you have in your product the presentation
layer API's. In my mind the presentation layer is responsible for a couple
of key things:

1) Mapping/getting data to/from the server language to the UI.
2) Spawning/handling events from the UI back up to/through the server
language to the controller.

In some ways is it maybe just as important to say what the View SHOULD NOT
do. For example, in a lot of RPG-CGI stuff there are links that take you
from CGIPGM1 to CGIPGM2. Or more specifically, CGIPGM1 will output a stream
of HTML that has a link on it, and when the user clicks that link it
immediately takes them to CGIPGM2 (vs. CGIPGM1). This is in contrast to the
development practice I see in *many* (but not all) JSF approaches where most
times every single action a user takes against JSFPGM1 is returned to
JSFPGM1 and based on the evaluation of that action JSFPGM1 will do the
equivalent of a 301 redirect to get the user to the right next page. To get
back to my original statement, the View SHOULD NOT be making directional
decisions (i.e. what page do I go to next?) but instead always hand events
back to the same program that produced the page. When I say "SHOULD NOT"
that might be slightly purist because I don't follow that rule to a "T" as
sometimes the rule needs to be broken to make the framework meet business
needs.

HTH,
Aaron Bartell

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:25 PM, Walden H. Leverich <