I don't have the details of the java application, but seems to be
large. It reads and updates several files.
Converting all to RPG may be a good idea, but I'm affraid it will be to big of a proyect.

Aaron Bartell wrote:

Besides the Java interface (i.e. parameters passed) what actual purpose is
the Java serving? Or maybe a better way to ask it is could the process be
done in RPG instead and get rid of Java entirely?

I would say that Apache + RPG is solid and Tomcat + Java is solid. Mixing
any of the environments languages creates additional failure points and my
preferred method would be to keep it simple.

Note that you can setup Tomcat quite easily on the iSeries WITHOUT using
IBM's version. For instance, I simply download Tomcat right from
http://tomcat.apache.org and plop it in the IFS. Then I run the startup.sh
command via SBMJOB and Tomcat is up and running. Tomcat is also a fairly
small footprint if your only experience is with WAS. Just wanted to note
another option you may have if you haven't considered it yet.

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com