Regarding UDTF for the archive:

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/software/db2/pdf/ExternalUDTF.pdf

Scott Klement <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
07/10/2008 01:16 PM
Please respond to
Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject
Re: [WEB400] PHP and SQL web developer re-creates all business logic
found in RPG programs

Hi Nathan,

I wasn't familiar with the UDTF acronym, so I did a google search
which produced a link to an article you wrote for System i Network

UDTF is a UDF (SQL User Defined Function) that returns a "table" (that's
where the T comes from). So in a way they're very similar to stored
procdures. They're SQL functions that return a set of rows.

The UDTF syntax is a little harder to code on the RPG side than a stored
procedure would be, but it's usable from embedded SQL -- whereas stored
procdure result sets cannot be read in embedded SQL. UDTFs are invoked
from a SELECT statement which means you can also use the features of the
select statement to your advantage. Stuff like joining, WHERE clauses,
ORDER BY, GROUP BY, etc. A powerful tool.

Let's also say that the company is inclined to retain most of the
business logic in RPG, but provide a thin UI wrapper, using PHP. ...
is there one that you'd recommend in the context that I've outlined?

Depends on the business logic and how "thin" you want the wrapper to be.
Personally, I refactor my RPG code to put the business logic in it's
own service program (i.e. a "business layer" discussed in earlier
thread) I write nice procedures that make my code as elegant as possible
to call from ILE languages like RPG.

Then I write "wrapper" routines (simple procedures that do nothing but
rearrange the parameters a bit and call the "real" routine) that are
called as an external stored procedure, which I use when I want to call
it from PHP or other non-ILE languages.

I mostly use UDTFs when I want to emulate a file, such as that IFS
example, but not so often as a replacement for a procedure call (though,
it'd certainly work). But, since I don't typically go through an SQL
layer to access my business logic from RPG and other ILE languages,
there's very little value to me in using UDTFs for business logic.

But I don't know if this paradigm is "thin" enough for your needs.

For example, if your code is written to mix screen logic with business
logic, the work required to refactor your code might be overwhelming??
It's up to you to make that decision.

If you need to make only the most minor changes to your existing RPG
code, then your best bet is probably data queues, because it provides an
easy way to continue using a "stateful" backend with a stateless (web)
front end. Personally I abhor the notion of doing this, but that's
me... IMHO, that's not really modernization, it's just a hack to make
things work. In the long run, the business logic should be modernized,
not just the UI.

So, I've been using stored procedures for most everything.

Web services are another interesting method. I've done quite a bit of
consuming web services provided by others, but my experience with
providing them (and using ones I've provided in a production app) is
limited at this point. I can see how this might be a lot more elegant
when the client side communicates with the server side over the
internet, since you don't want all of your clients to have to install
database drivers. Furthermore, there are platforms that IBM doesn't
make drivers for, and web services would be useful there as well. So I
can see advantages, and I'm playing with these web services more and
more, but so far I haven't done enough to offer a good comparison vs. SQL.