From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: 08 July 2008 19:34
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Mapping SQL Result Sets to Browsers

Maurice O'Prey wrote:
Nathan

I don't really know what point it is you are making, but it seems to me
you
are promoting the use of business objects. Personally I fully advocate
their
use (and agree with Walden, disagree with Joe). The benefits in
performance,
scalability and developer productivity are real and easily recognised and
very real.

Respectfully, Maurice, how can you disagree with me? I didn't say
business objects were bad, I simply said that delegating computation and
access to another layer can add extra overhead. Note the word *can*.
The only way you can disagree with me is if you're saying it *cannot*
add overhead, at which point you're (respectfully) out of your mind.

I am really tired of people arguing with anything that even questions
their favorite architectural viewpoint. There is no one right answer,
and regardless of your claims to performance and scalability for
"business objects", each design decision needs to be made within the
context of the project.

There is no one right solution. Use the best tool for the job. And
keep an open mind.

Joe

P.S. This is why I wanted to stay out of this. You claim that business
objects provide superior performance, scalability and productivity.
Yet, you don't define exactly what a business object is. Is it
something written in Java? Are you thus saying that Java performs
better than RPG? That it scales better? I hope not, because I can
prove that wrong ten different ways. The concept of reusable business
logic may indeed perform better and be scalable, but that can be
attained in RPG just as easily (some might argue more easily, since the
syntax is simpler). In any case, I'll bow out now, because we've
wandered into the area where hyperbole replaces reality. I hate these
talking head discussions because even when you try to help, someone
paints a bullseye on your back...