Aaron Bartell skrev den 06-06-2008 15:14:

Here's a question: Let's say we had an entry level 520 with 10,000 users on
it using 5250 screens. I am guessing OS/400 appropriately pages RPG program
10.000 simultaneous users?

I have had web apps with 1000 busy users but not 10000. Hence, anything I have to say is pure guesswork :)

instances out to disk when it needs to free up memory for more active jobs,
correct? So in theory you could support 10,000 users though the swapping of
memory for disk (and vice versa) would make for some slow responses, but
would still work, and you could then just buy more processing power to
address the situation.
What you are saying that memory would be the bottleneck in that situation and not CPU, so swapping would be necessary but that the machine could lift the load.

It would be possible to put up an application server, simulate a load of 10000 users which do some backend calling (you can probably whip something up that do stuff, otherwise just the time of day might be sufficient) and then we can see how it scales by measuring.
I am not trying to promote poor application infrastructure design, but more
trying to find a balance of leveraging RPG/OS400/DB2 features to build apps
faster while still having it be scalable.
I agree. In order to do that, you must get performance data - otherwise it is just guesswork.