Hi Thorbjørn;

You are asking about performance: The best way to put is with an example:

MAZDA motors in Denmark are using IceBreak and have 250 concurrent users
running on an old AS/400 model 270 - OS/400 ver 5.1. It is document portal
with registration papers so all sessions are running HTTPS.

It runs so we so they have invited yet 150 more concurrent users from FORD
motor company - now running on the same box - the same application.

Any other product on the system i that I am aware of will collapse with the
same kind of workload.

There is no need to front-end IceBreak with Apache since the web-server in
IceBreak is faster and has a smaller footprint. However, Apache has some
unique features with routing, redirection and rewrites etc. so it make sense
in some cases. Actually IceBreak.org is front-ended with an Apache for exact
same reason.

Benchmark test shows that Apache is 11% slower that IceBreak when doing
plain file serving. When it comes to CGI compared to the application serving
in IceBreak it is trickier. One CGI-DEV2 program with one client has the
same ration - 11% slower that at similar application in IceBreak. But when
we try to scale it to 100 concurrent users the numbers are quite different:
82% slower and the processor is utilisation goes from 15% to 86%. With
IceBreak it goes from 15% to 22%.

The above figures are from a TestBench on a 520. The application was a
simple RPG list producing 100 rows reading one file.

When it comes to EGL / WebSphere - we don?t have any figures yet. However I
have never seen a 270 running WebSphere yet :)

Best regards

Niels Liisberg

System & Metode Technologies
Håndværkersvinget 8, DK-2970 Hørsholm