"but introducing what I like to call a "simplicity layer for 80% usage" goes a long way towards greater adoption of a tool or API."

This is exactly right. You and Scott Klement have done a great job of wrapping either Java or C routines into something an RPG programmer can understand. And, yes, if you want to roll your own from the "native" API's, you easily could. But I find that sometimes an RPG programmer will just find the RPG prototypes all the documentation they need to make a solution work.

In my case, I wrapped the Jasper API's with some simplified Java API's of my own to make things even simpler. That means I can be even lazier by only providing RPG wrappers for my API's (at least at the 0.4 release). I would expect that folks who need a little more granularity will add their wrappers to the project over time.

Could you take another direction and use more native RPG techniques to generate the PDF,XLS,TXT,ODT,HTML,RTF out types. I guess so. But you'd probably be wrapping some other API's to do that. Some of the Java stuff is so mature and complete, wrapping them with RPG makes perfect sense.

In particular Aaron, your idea of having the JVM invoked only once is a great idea. I can't wait to implement that in my own project.

Pete

Aaron Bartell wrote:
This is the part I don't understand. If the XML file contains data source
definitions, SQL query definitions, report layout definitions, and
Javascript for handling special data munging and layout requirements, then
what would be the purpose of RPG? Just to call the runtime engine to
generate the report? Pass parameters?

The RPG portions that I write for my open source projects usually entail
doing a lot of Java wrappering of an existing API (i.e. JavaMail,
JFreeChart). I wrapper them in a way that makes them more easily called
from the RPG environment through keyed data queues. This route also has a
huge performance/resource benefit because there is only a single JVM running
on the system for all users. The RPG side is very minimal in nature and is
mostly used to prime some sort of data medium (i.e. physical files) with
data through RPG sub procedures.

To some it may not appear as though RPG wrappers are adding much benefit vs.
calling the Java API's directly, but introducing what I like to call a
"simplicity layer for 80% usage" goes a long way towards greater adoption of
a tool or API.

HTH,
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com