I've done a similar project (and I'm sure quite a few others here have as
well). What worked best for me was to create a program that contained all of
the logic needed to do the inquiry. I then implemented this program as a stored
procedure which lets me call it from just about anything. I have front ended
this with both CGI programs written in RPG and Java programs and it works well
in both environments. It could also be front ended with a web service but there
are performance disadvantages since the connections are stateless and if you
use SOAP, there is XML processing to deal with.

If you want to run your web application on the AS/400, you can write CGI
programs (RPG, COBOL, or C can be used), Java, Net.Data (IBM's answer to ASP
but there is a bunch of performance overhead and it's very difficult to create
rubust applications with), or PHP (you have to be on V5R3 or V5R4 of the OS to
use this). If you are going to run the front end on a different platform, then
the language choices become what ever is available on that platform. Which one
to choose is not exactly an easy to answer question because typically, the
choice is to use a language that the development team understands since it
reduces project costs.

Where it's deployed also determines in part on how to talk to the database. You
will get better performance AS/400 to AS/400 than with any other platform. For
Java programs, you'll use JDBC. The traditional AS/400 languages have native
methods for I/O that will beat the pants off of anything else for small record
sets with random data access. ODBC and OLEDB are also options for Windows
platforms. Other options for communications is to use messge queueing or web
services (both of these will require host programs to do the actual database
communication but you'll likely want the business logic on the AS/400 anyway
since the people knowledgable of it are working on that platform and if there's
going to be lots of random I/O on small record sets, it's hard to beat the
performance of the native I/O methods).

Without knowing more about how you intend to implement the web part, it's hard
to give exact recomendations but this will hopefully give you some ideas.

Matt