From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Alfredo Delgado
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 7:55 AM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Advice about moving to a Web-environment

I'm very happy with the performance of PHP on the i5. We're on V5R3 and I'm
presently working on moving our corporate website to the i using a Free
content management system written for PHP and MySQL.

My first impression of PHP back when it was at version 3 is that it's like
writing C code that Apache can understand -- it's a better analogy on a LAMP
stack where PHP runs as an Apache module. Since then PHP has continued to
mature and incorporated some powerful string parsing Perl-like commands and
better OO functionality.

The ease of accessing the DB will depend on how familiarized the programmers
are with SQL and the quality of the schema being worked on.
In my work on the i5 I have found instances of too little normalization and
too much normalization or a record level mindset instead of a relational set
mindset. However, if your RPG programs are as well modularized as it sounds,
you can register them as external stored procedures and use ODBC to call
them.

I think a point worth mentioning on web development is that it's based on
standards. Do yourself, your users and the WWW a favor and familiarize
yourself with XHTML
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/html6/index.html) and don't just sling some
tags and see if it looks acceptable when parsed on Internet Explorer.

Thanks,
Alfred

albartell wrote:

Here's my thoughts.

Java/Websphere - big gulp for your developers and a big gulp for your
machine respectively.  Your RPG programmers may very well get fed up
with Java before any real useful applications are developed.  It's so
bitter sweet, because Java (i.e. JSF) has some pretty cool event driven
programming going on, but the DB access is sometimes problematic (at
least mine is with using Hibernate).  Then with RPG you don't have a
nice event driven model (i.e. you write all of the plumbing), but you
have second to none ease of DB access and you don't have a hundred and
one plugins to make everything work like you do on the Java end.

Main note: Introducing a new language into a shop is problematic on
MANY fronts so it shouldn't be taken lightly.

If you aren't afraid to spend some consulting dollars, hire Brad Stone
to write a small first iteration of an eRPG program.  You can code 100%
in RPG and make excellent reuse of your existing RPGILE business logic.
After Brad is done he can walk you through the different aspects of the
created web program and give you 'must know' type information - saving
you many hours of spinning the wheels.  I had the pleasure of working
with him on a recent web project and it's actually enjoyable to see
somebody be so efficient in writing RPG CGI apps :-)  He can be contacted
through this page:
http://bvstools.com/contact.html

Another possibility, though it would be introducing a new language into
your shop, is PHP.  If you are on V5R3 or V5R4 you should be able to
get it up and running fairly easily.  IMO, PHP is a solid language
choice for web development on a couple different fronts: 1) There are
endless scripts out there to do nearly anything you could want or need.
2) there are so many nice "bifs" and "opcodes" built into the language
so you wont frequently find yourself writing little routines. 3) The
learning curve can start out VERY small because PHP "just works" once
your server is setup.  I have found it to be an easy language to play
with.  I do not know how well it performs on the iSeries (anybody done any
testing on this?).

But once again you will be splitting your programmers down the middle
as some WILL have PHP knowledge and some WILL NOT.  That may not seem
like a big deal now, but as time goes on it definitely will be.

Those are my thoughts.  Take them for what their worth.
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com