Streaming PDF files with IE can be tricky. Is the PHP app setting the
HTTP header "Content-Length:"  before sending the contents of the PDF
file?   Is the "Content-Type:" set as well?

What is the URL that the browser uses to request the PDF document?  If
it does not end with ".pdf" Internet Explorer will get confused. Even
if the content type is correct. Also, fo reasons I do not understand,
IE will request the PDF document twice before displaying it in the
Adobe reader plugin.

Try testing the same file using Mozilla. It is standards compliant
when it comes to PDF files. Also make sure you have the latest Adobe
PDF plugin. If you ( or your end-users ) are using IE, make sure you
have the latest versions. Older versions of the Adobe plugin are not
compatable with newer versions of IE.

From a previous project involving streaming PDFs here were the final
issues we had:

-Old versions of IE were not reliable when requesting a streamed PDF document.
-New versions of IE were not compatable with old versions of the Adobe
Reader plugin. Many of the end-users had upgraded their browser, but
had not upgraged the plugin.  For some reason, if they had PDFs set to
open in their own window ( not in side IE) things worked.
-IE always made 2 requests to the server for a single PDF url.
-The Content length header has to be set and 100% correct, before the
body of the file is sent.
-The content type header has to be set correctly.
- The url ( as requested from the browser) must end with .pdf.

Because of these issues, we supported a config of our app where PDF
files were zipped and then sent to the browser. This meant the browser
did not use the Adobe plugin and used the stand-alone Adobe Reader
application.

-Sarah