--Jerome

ps not trying to get you going, but why try to slow it down? imo much better to use it for what you decide it's good for and raid it for good ideas to borrow and use elsewhere (the sincerest form)

pps seems to be how IBM is looking at it, as is Apple

On Aug 17, 2006, at 3:18 PM, Joe Pluta wrote:

From: James Rich

And while I understand your point, please see my note to Jerome. If you
decide to use RoR as a mission critical system component, you are
implicitly taking on DHH as a partner in your company.  It's just
something you need to consider.

This is not nearly as true in the case of RoR as it is in the case of
Microsoft (or even IBM). I'd rather partner with a guy who cusses than an
unethical company like Microsoft.

There's a big difference, though. I can buy Microsoft or IBM tools and run my business on them today. If I choose to not continue business with them, I still have a working system that will last for some time. Granted this is less true with Microsoft's "continuous beta" software methodology, and even IBM's minus-two release issue. But still, there are people running on S/36
iron out there.

With something like RoR, which is absolutely not yet ready for prime time (as I've noted, things like security and internationalization are severely lacking), you have to sort of rely on the kindness of strangers when it comes to whether or not these things will get done and when. And should you choose to NOT wait and go off and roll your own, then you run the risk of not being compatible with the language when it does catch up. So, yes, you're in bed with IBM or Microsoft; with RoR you're in the car and they're
driving.

Good points in this discussion are being made though, and it is certainly true that RoR needs to be evaluated by each person considering deploying
it.  But that's no different than any tech afaict.

Absolutely agreed.  I'm just trying to slow down the juggernaut a tad.

Joe