From: albartell

But I don't know of any seven-parameter limitations except on service
programs.
Most all of my development is done in service programs so this affects me
lot. Do you have an idea of why this limitation is there?

Nope.  On the surface, it's definitely a pointless limitation.  It might
have to do with the API they use, I don't know.

On the other hand, dates are still tough, though not impossible: you
define
the parameter as an array of bytes and then use the DateTimeConverter
class
to convert the date to a usable value.

These are the things that should be built into the base offering as date
data types are becoming more common (vs. int fields to hold dates).

I agree, but at the same time it's not exactly a show-stopper either.  The
conversion can be done, it just takes an extra step.  Since I don't use PCML
so it's not an issue.

Nope.  I think getters/setters in RPG (which are usually around a file)
are
a waste of time 95% of the time.  I was simply using PCML to call RPG
service programs that encapsulate business logic (and of course multiple
file access).  There is another thread where I commented on this so I wont
go into details here (http://tinyurl.com/fl88p).

If you're simply encapsulating business logic and not returning large
amounts of data from the procedures, then you don't need anything more than
an int return value.  If you're returning dates, strings, and so on, you
have issues.  But then again, that's why I use data structures.

Me, I pass data structures between programs; it works much better.
And if I was the one on both ends of the programming I could compose the
RPG
to use DS's but that isn't always the case, and to tell somebody that they
need to modify their already modular *SRVPGM because of a PCML limitation
is
a little embarrassing on the part of Java (sure it isn't Java and instead
PCML, but guess who gets the blame).

Yet another reason to not use PCML, I guess.  I just use the toolbox classes
and life is peachy keen.  I have never had a problem with
intercommunication, because I use data structures and the toolbox classes.
You have problems because of the limitations of PCML.  I don't think it's
Java or RPG or the toolbox; it's trying to use a shortcut like PCML in a way
it wasn't intended.

Shortcuts often lead to long delays, eh?

Joe