Thanks Luis.

I downloaded the manual. It is fairly comprehensive in its overview of modernization techniques and deals with each topic in enough detail to give you a pretty solid understanding of what the technology can do. In that respect, it is pretty good. But the HATS tutorial is a retread of other tutorials I have already seen (they got a LOT of mileage out of the HATS 4.0 tutorial). The tutorial runs out of gas pretty quickly when you want to do system wide component customization. The screen specific customization tutorials I have seen so far are good, it is just the version of HATS they reference aren't current and stuff works different now.

I do appreciate the link. That adds another book to my library and I may go back and read through the whole thing to get a better perspective on other "modernization techniques". As it is, I have until next Thursday to get something pulled together and I haven't made much progress with online references. I may dig a bit more into the internals, but HATS uses JSP's which I am not that knowledgeable about or (personally) a big fan of so I am not sure how far I can get down that road.

I need "HATS, Step by Step" but Joe Pluta hasn't written that one (yet) :-) !

Pete

Luis Rodriguez wrote:

Pete,

Although we don't work regulary with HATS, we have been evaluating it
and got the following redbook (draft)recommended: SG24-6671-00 -
iSeries Application Modernization

It looks quite complete, and *maybe* it could be of help.

Best Regards,

Luis Rodriguez

message: 1 date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 13:59:03 -0600 from: Pete Helgren
<Pete@xxxxxxxxxx> subject: [WEB400] HATS - Anybody using it on a
regular basis

I am saddled with a HATS project and just need to find out if anyone
is working regularly with this beast and, if so, what resources they
used to get up to speed.

I need to fill in a lot of blanks quickly.  Like, within days.  IBM
has lots of stuff, most of it is repetitive and has paper-thin depth
of content (no pun intended) .  I looked at Redbooks, Redpieces, Red
Buttons, Red Skelton, Little Red Riding Hood but no joy....

If someone has a  "must have" HATS resource (books, tutorials, online
training, article...) that can be quickly and easily obtained, could
you point me to it?

Thanks,

Pete Helgren

Luis Rodriguez