If one did gain knowledge of how it works (really works) that would be
great.

For an enterprise to blindly accept and implement an open source offering
(e.g. DOJO) without the knowledge of how it will affect their users
experience and how it will affect their web presence if something goes wrong
is just plain silly.  Sure the smaller the shop the more you can get away
with not digging in too deep before implementing.

But also understand that this is a new technology...

No it's not! The "Ajax" name is new (well, it's been well over a year, in
web-speak that's old) but the underlying technologies including the
XMLHTTPRequest object have been around for nearly a decade.

Ok, now you are picking small points to fight about:-)  Some would say the
VOIP (Voice Over IP) is relatively new technology (guess maybe 4 years old)
but it is in fact more than double that.  I would still consider VOIP a new
technology because it was not able to be implemented in a widespread fashion
back in the mid 90's, but now it is fairly common and you see it all over TV
(I have a Vonage line and love it!)

In the same respects, sure the Javascript objects have been around for
awhile, and css and named tags have been around forever, but just because
you heard of it over a year ago and read some history on when it started
doesn't make it passé.  In my mind the only reason it is getting the
attention it has is BECAUSE it is now becoming industry compliant (say
browser compliant) which was the hold-up all along FWIU.

We're on the same team here Walden, just maybe not sitting on the same end
of the bench :-)

Later,
Aaron Bartell